Prerequisites & Bulletin Description
- Help you learn and explore the geometry, probability and measurement strands for the elementary curriculum.
- Help you see math as interesting and relevant.
- Help you see yourself as capable of learning mathematics and solving mathematical problems on your own.
- Introduce you to materials to teach content in the geometry, probability and measurement strands to elementary school students.
- Convince you that math is not a bunch of formulas to be memorized but problems to solve and patterns to find.
Evaluation of Students
There will be a Midterm and a Final Exam. Weekly homework will be assigned and there will be two projects required.
|Topics||Number of Weeks|
|Polygons, Polyhedra, Concrete Representations, Nets, Euler's Rule||2|
|Angle, Angles of Polygons, Regular Polygons||2|
|Platonic Solids, Tangrams, Tessellations||1|
|Probability, Counting Possibilities||1|
|Joint Probability, Counting Choices, Pascal's Triangle||2|
|Assessing Randomness (optional)||1|
|Mean, Median, Mode, Midrange (optional)||1|
|Measurement, Metric Units, Linear Units, Scales||1|
|Area units, areas of rectangles, Pick's Theorem, Pythagorean Theorem (last two optional)||1.5|
|Volume units, volumes of prisms||1.5|
|Tests and Projects||2|
Textbooks & Software
None. There will be handouts in class
Submitted by: Eric Hsu
Date: April 29, 2003