- Help you learn and explore the number strand for the elementary curriculum.
- Help you see math as interesting and relevant.
- Help you see yourself as capable of learning mathematics and solving mathematical problems on your own.
- Introduce you to materials to teach content in the number strand to elementary school students.
- Convince you that math is not a bunch of formulas to be memorized but problems to solve and patterns to find.
Evaluation of Students
There will be a Midterm and a Final Exam. Weekly homework will be assigned and there will be two projects required.
The following timeline is approximate.
|Topics||Number of Weeks|
|Sets and Venn Diagrams||1|
|Symbols, Bases, Concrete Representations||1|
|Addition, Subtraction Algorithms||1|
|Multiplication Algorithms & Representations||1.5|
|Division Algorithms & Representations||1.5|
|Fractions, Concrete Representations||1|
|Equivalent Forms, Fraction Addition & Subtraction||1|
|Tests and Projects||2|
Textbooks & Software
None. There will be handouts in class.
Submitted by: Eric Hsu
Date: April 2, 2003