|REvitalizing ALgebra||Mathematics 890.01, REvitalizing ALgebra Workshop
Spring 2004 Syllabus
(12/29/03) Tentative syllabus and schedule posted.
Time. Tuesdays 4:30 - 7:15.
Place. 428 Thornton Hall
Instructors and Office Hours.
Eric Hsu · firstname.lastname@example.org · 932 Thornton Hall · 415-338-1104 · Tu 3-4 · AIM: EricHsuSFSU
Judy Kysh · email@example.com · 59 Burke Hall · 415-338-2121 · TBA
Diane Resek · firstname.lastname@example.org · 928 Thornton Hall · 415-338-2071 · TBA
Class Home Page. <http://math.sfsu.edu/hsu/msp/890REAL.html> Announcements, homework assignments and this syllabus are all posted here.
- become aware of and start to use a wider range of teaching options and become better decision makers on what to emphasize and what to leave out.
- learn new ways of assessing and building on students’ strengths and develop approaches that allow students to function at different levels and to work in different ways on the same topics.
- work together to solve mathematics problems and converse with colleagues about mathematical questions.
- realize that there is still much more to be learned about teaching mathematics and that it is honorable to be engaged in that learning.
- build a repertoire of classroom tested lesson knowledge to share outside the program.
Textbook. None. There will be handouts in class.
Teaching Style and Attendance. About two-thirds of the time will be spent on activities in small groups. The other third will be lecture and discussion. Because of the emphasis on in-class activity, attendance is mandatory.
Expectations. You are expected to attend all classes and complete all assignments on time.
Assignments. Weekly homework will include readings, reflections, problems and classroom projects.